The Reference Design Kit for Broadband (RDK-B) is an open source initiative standardising software functionalities for broadband devices enabling MSOs to efficiently deploy services to a large customer base. The primary purpose of RDK-B is to create a standardised software stack for various OEM's providing them with specific features to manage complex broadband functions such as Wide Area Networking (WAN), Local Area Networking (LAN), data reporting and management, home-networking technologies such as Wi-Fi and Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) and Internet of Things (IoT) controllers such as ZigBee, Bluetooth LE, and AllJoyn/OIC.
- RDK-B is based on Cisco’s Common Component Software Platform(CCSP) and is a fully modular, portable, and customizable software solution for broadband devices.
- The RDK software is available at no cost to RDK licensees in a shared source manner, and RDK community member companies are encouraged to contribute software changes and enhancements to the RDK stack.
- The Linux D-Bus in RDK-B is a central point where applications can send and listen to signals and conduct method calls, while extending a common architecture across CPUs.
- Designed for operator control and remote management
- Robust application model and app separation
- Best in class WiFi measurement and management API and tools
- Carrier grade security
- Support for Voice, DOCSIS, DSL, EPON and Ethernet WANs
- Support for devices with multiple heterogenous processors and packet accelerators
- Support for guest WiFi and tunneled secure public WiFi
- Support for device fingerprinting advanced parental control and advanced security
RDK-B codes are made available to users through the Apache 2.0 license.
Features supported in RDKB
- Basic Device Management
- Routing and IP feature Support
- WAN Support
- Voice Support
Operator Specific Features
- Home Security/Automation
- Security/ Intrusion Detection
- Cloud Based Features / Telemetry Support
- Advanced Device Management
- Advanced Routing/IP features
- Secure Transport - VPN / IPsec
- Advanced WiFi/Mesh
The Preferred program, was developed in response to requests from community members for shared development, training and testing tools. The program leverages RDK expertise across the community to develop new tools, enhance training materials and lower individual costs for development.
Preferred Plus Program
The Preferred Plus Program is an exciting new way for RDK members to get even more exposure with their participation in RDK. It acts as an advertising platform for RDK community members to drive awareness of their products, skills and knowledge.